The Dentistry Library is one of 13 branch libraries of Queensland Library and provides resources and services to support the teaching, learning and research needs of staff and students in the School of Dentistry and the continuing education needs of members of the Australian Dental Association, Queensland Branch (ADA (Q)).
The Dentistry Library began in 1936 with a collection of books housed in a room adjacent to the Dean's office and under his supervision. In 1944 the collection was moved into a small room on the top floor of the Dental Hospital and the first Librarian, Margaret Maugh, was employed. Fifty years later a section of the students' common room on level 1 of the Clinical Building was converted into a purpose-built facility for the Library and this is where it has remained.
The Dentistry Library has always enjoyed the support of the Dentistry Alumni and the Australian Dental Association, Queensland Branch. The first computer workstations were purchased with the assistance of the Dentistry Alumni and the ADA (Q) continues to contribute to the development of the collection.
The collection of the Denistry Library provides teaching, learning and research materials in a wide variety of formats for onsite access, use and loan. The collection includes:
145 current journal subscriptions
over 200 videos.
Links to electronic resources are provided via the Library's website. These include more than 51,000 eJournals, almost 400,000 eBooks, and over 900 databases. Access to the global body of information is available through the internet.
For further information, see the Library website.