Dr Pauline J Ford
BDSc(Hons)(Qld), BDentSt (Qld), PhD, GCHEd
Position: Senior Lecturer
Location: Turbot St 865/223; Level 6 - UQCCR - Herston
Telephone: 336 58085
See Research, Projects, Publications and other information.
School Research Higher Degree & Honours Coordinator
Chair, Progress Oversight for Learning and Education
BDSc 3rd year Coordinator
Member, Faculty Inter-Professional Education Committee
Member, Faculty Research Higher Degree Co-ordinators Committee
Personal and Professional Development - Discipline Coordinator
Personal and Professional Development I & II - BDSc Course Coordinator
Dr Ford is a member of the Oral Cancer Research Program. The program leverages a range of novel technologies, including optical fluorescence imaging to be able to diagnose oral cancer at its earliest stages, thus allowing early forms of treatment to be applied with maximal effect. The program is also investigating the role that cancer stem cells play in the propagation and recurrence of cancerous and pre-cancerous lesions. The underlying premise of this program looks at creating a molecular signature for pre-cancerous conditions that can be used as a diagnostic test to either replace or supplement standard histopathological interpretation of oral epithelial dysplasia and oral squamous cell carcinoma.
- Treatment experience and support needs of head and neck cancer patients and their caregivers.
- Epithelial dysplasia and future oral malignancy – a Queensland based retrospective study.
- Barriers to early detection of oral cancer: perceptions and experience of patients and health care providers.
- Oral screening to detect early disease: Improving health outcomes for Indigenous Australians.
- Expanding the role of the Oral Health Therapist in health care.
- Systemic inflammatory response in gingivitis.
- Oral fluid biomarkers in periodontal disease.
- Porphyromonas gingivalis GroEL and atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.
- Characterisation of the antibody response to host and Porphyromonas gingivalis heat shock proteins in cardiovascular and at risk patients.
- Relationship between serum antibodies and clinical parameters of periodontal disease: A 5 year longitudinal study.
Selected recent publications
Garton, B. J. and Ford, P. J. (2012) Root caries and diabetes: Risk assessing to improve oral and systemic health outcomes. Australian Dental Journal, 57 2: 114-122.
Ford, P. J. and Hughes, C. (2012) Academic integrity and plagiarism: perceptions and experience of staff and students in a school of dentistry: A situational analysis of staff and student perspectives. European Journal of Dental Education, 16 1: E180-E186.
Ford, P. J. and Hibberd, K. (2012) Creating effective and engaging information literacy programmes for the dental curriculum. European Journal of Dental Education, 16 1: E41-E46.
Farah, C. S., Ford, P. J., Allen, K., Vu, A. and McCullough, M. J. (2012). Oral cancer and potentially cancerous lesions - Early detection and diagnosis. In Kalu U. E. Ogbureke (Ed.), Oral cancer (pp. 79-106) Rijeka, Croatia: InTech.
Rose-Hill, S., Ford, P. J., Leishman, S. J., Do, H. L., Palmer, J. E., Heng, N. C. K., West, M. J., Seymour, G. J. and Cullinan, M. P. (2011) Improved periodontal health and cardiovascular risk. Australian Dental Journal, 56 4: 352-357.
Creating effective and engaging information literacy programs for the dental curriculum. Ford PJ, Hibberd K. European Journal of Dental Education accepted November 2, 2010.
Leishman SJ, Do HL, Ford PJ. Cardiovascular Disease and the Role of Oral Bacteria. Journal of Oral Microbiology 2010:2;5781 – DOI:10.3402/jom.v2i0.5781.
PJ Ford, SL Raphael, MP Cullinan, AJ Jenkins, MJ West, GJ Seymour. Why should a doctor be interested in oral disease? Expert Reviewof Cardiovascular Therapy 2010:8(10);1483-93.
S. Bohnstedt, M.P. Cullinan, P.J. Ford, J.E. Palmer, S.J. Leishman, B. Westerman, R.I. Marshall, M.J. West, G.J. Seymour. High Antibody Levels to P. gingivalis in Cardiovascular Disease. JDR 2010:89(9); 938-42.
Ford PJ, Gamonal J, Seymour GJ. Immunological differences and similarities between chronic and aggressive periodontitis. Periodontology 2000 2010:53; 111-23.
Ford PJ. Immunological techniques: ELISA, flow cytometry, and immunohistochemistry. Methods in Molecular Biology 2010;666:327-43.
Member, IADR (Education Research Group, Behavioural, Epidemiologic and Health Services Research Group).