Students shine at annual awards ceremony
UQ’s School of Dentistry congratulates the 27 high-achieving students who were recognised for their academic achievements at the School’s annual Student Prizes Night last month.
The students received prizes for their studies in the Bachelor of Dental Science and the Bachelor of Oral Health, made possible thanks to the generous support of the many sponsors and donors.
Head of School Professor Lakshman Samaranayake said the Student Prizes Night was an important annual event and the School of Dentistry was proud to acknowledge the achievements of these meritorious students.
“The ceremony would not have been possible without the generosity of our sponsors and their support and encouragement which is very much appreciated,” Professor Samaranayake said.
“The ongoing support from our sponsors not only allows us the opportunity to recognise our students through events such as the annual award ceremony, but also reinforces our partnerships with industry and our dedicated alumni.
“I would like to acknowledge the dedication of our academic, clinical and professional staff who create a stimulating learning environment that encourages our students to strive and succeed.”
The following prizes were awarded:
- The Henry Schein/Halas Oral Health Prize: Emma Skinner
- The Vardiman Dental Study Association Oral Health Prize: Emma Bowtell
- The Southern Dental Industries Limited Oral Health Prize: Emma Harvey
- The RJ Pyle Memorial Oral Health Prize: Jeannine Shen
- The Oral-B P&G Professional Oral Health Prize: Michelle Oey-Shaw
- The Dental Hygienists’ Association (QLD Branch) Oral Health Prize: Louis Smith
- The Australian Dental and Oral Health Therapists’ Association Queensland Branch Oral Health Prize: Ashleigh Murray
- The Southern Dental Industries Limited Health Prize: Austin Ly
- The Knowledge Books and Software Prize: Austin Ly
- The Delta Sigma Delta – John Sagar Prize: Austin Ly
- The Heine Australia Pty Ltd Prize: Rebecca Wainwright
- The Australian Society of Endodontology Prize: Alex Chin
- The Dental Study Club Prize: Graham Wong
- The J Owen Pearn Prize: Marcel Muller
- The George Christensen Memorial Prize: Sonya Shi
- The Australian Dental Association Prize: Carmen Au and Lily Gu
- The Australian Society of Orthodonists (QLD Branch) Mary Moffatt Memorial Prize: Lily Gu
- The Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry (QLD Branch) Prize: Tarra Shannon
- The Southside Dental Study Club – Professor RR Stephens Prize: Andrea Ho
- The Vardiman Dental Study Association Prize: Yu-Yao Teoh
- The Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons Prize: Christopher Allen-Waters
Congratulations to all involved!
PICTURED AT THE EVENT WERE (L-R): Dr Ralph Kelsey (Australian Dental Association), Dr Bruce Newman (QLD Public Sector Dentists Association), Dr Gary Smith (Delta Sigma Delta Fraternity), Professor Sam, Professor Newell Johnson (Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons).